We've moved! We are now at genmaicha.tumblr.com.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

It's wedding season already?

Seriously, you guys. Next week's picnic-banquet-karaoke celebration will be only the fourth wedding I've ever been to in my whole life. Who doesn't have huge quibbles over what to wear to a casual-yet-important event? We don't want to look too fancy for a picnic in the park, but being ragged and slovenly at a banquet with parents and "adults" (yes yes, we are also adults, but you know...our elders) could be embarrassing. There will be no time to change, so the outfit has to stay looking fresh and comfortable throughout the day. I'll probably end up bringing a change of shoes, just in case.

That's the challenge, then: take one part afternoon picnic, one part Chinese wedding banquet, one part friends' reunion, and a big dollop of good times. Mix together and what do you get?

Casual wedding options

What do you think? I do believe flats are in order across the board, for ease of driving, carrying dishes, general running about, etc. etc.

From the left, choice 1: vintage purple and green plaid belted cotton house-dress with light purple flats. This is a close approximation of my dress, purchased at a smoke-filled closet of a vintage resale shop in Pacific Grove, California, for a pittance. The neckline is a funny pleated keyhole that is just a bit too low sans camisole underneath--I'll have to sew it closed so it is less indecent. The Frye sandals I just picked up in deep green at TJ Maxx, I think it makes the vintage silhouette dress rather more bohemian in character. Too hippie-crunchy?

Choice 2: More of a business casual outfit--this is, in fact, similar to what I wear at the office on a daily basis. I am big into scarves for summer, the particular silk scarf I'm thinking of is a green and purple paisley number with wide purple border. My poor office-mates have seen it more than a few times this past week, I can't get enough of it! These would be new linen-cotton slacks with a tanktop and light cardigan. Too formal or stuffy? Would sneakers be too casual?

Choice 3: Rather darker in palette, a big ol' black and white plaid skirt with black flats and a plain black shirt. The skirt makes me look wide in the hips, but I'll be damned if it isn't the most comfortable, coolest skirt I own! Too morose?

Like with Jeanne's post on the same subject, I'm sure at least S. and Miss Sabrina will have something to say--bring it on, ladies! Can't wait to see you next week!

6 comments:

WendyB said...

Out of these three, I'd say the first choice is the most appropriately festive.

Jeanne said...

I would also say #1 -- the way L. put it to me when she told me what I should go with (which was my #1), she said "you have so many great dresses that you never wear, so wear one". You do wear skirts more than I do, but neither of us wear dresses a lot.

Allison said...

Numero Uno!

Sushu Xia said...

They're all cute! I really like your scarf look, but I suppose the picnic/dinner is more of a dress opportunity?

Anonymous said...

I like #1 and #2, but since it *is* a wedding, albeit a causal one I'm going to vote for #1

Karen said...

Thanks, everyone! I'll have to hurry and make some adjustments to the dress via the sewing machine tonight, especially since I haven't tried it on in a good long while! We'll try to post photos if they come out. Thanks for your input!

Related Posts with Thumbnails