We've moved! We are now at genmaicha.tumblr.com.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Roadtesting Urban Decay Primer Potion in "Sin"

Everyone here knows that Urban Decay Primer Potion is one of our staples, right? I tell everyone I know about it, from Kati to the blog to whoever I'm wandering around Sephora with. (It happens!) It's lasted me all day through running around and not-sleeping and is, generally, a great product that does what it does really, really well.

So I was excited when Urban Decay announced they were releasing a new version of UDPP called "Sin", this time with champagne shimmer! I almost couldn't wait until it showed up to Sephora, even asking the salesgirls if they knew when it was coming out. I didn't buy a full-sized one, but I was definitely anxious to try it out, especially since it could be worn on its own.

Luckily, I reallyreally wanted the Get Baked palette, which came with a 24/7 eye pencil and a mini-size of the Sin UDPP. Yay! I would get to try it out without having to buy a full-size! So I ordered it, it arrived, and I got to playing with it.

Here's where things get a little slippery (literally). I'm used to dabbing a little bit of UDPP on my eyelid, then blending (read: smearing) it with the tip of my finger. This works fine with the regular sheer/nude UDPP, but with Sin, it's so shimmery and light on the skin that you really have to be careful with the application. I wound up getting it all over the place, including my tear duct, my lower lid, everywhere. Not a good look. So I tried again, gently painting my eyelid with the wand in a smooth half-moon.

They say it can be used in lieu of eyeshadow, but it's so pale and shimmery that it was way too much so for my liking, especially since I was wearing it to work. Because of that, both times (the smeary and the delicate) I had to layer eyeshadow over it. It could just be me and my skintone, as well as my dark'n'tired eyes, but I just didn't really like the look of it on its own.

But really, here is the killer, especially when compared to the original Primer Potion: Today I did my eyeshadow no later than 8:15 am. I checked my eyeshadow at 4:45 or so -- eight and a half hours later, about -- and it was majorly, majorly creasy. Gasp! How could this be? I know my eyelids are the creaseless-shadow-killers (Benefit and Shiseido cream eyeshadows, I love you but I am talking about you here), but the original has always held up really well with only minor creases after, say, sixteen hours.

So despite my hope for Sin, I found it ultimately didn't live up to the expectations that I had based on my adoration of its older sister product. I wonder if the formula's changed (or if my original is so old that it's not as thin as the brand-new Sin, so it's stickier, which is certainly possible), or if adding pigment to the mix does something to the primer itself to make it less effective. Sigh! I really wanted it to work! (The rest of the palette is great, by the way.)

Have you had high hopes for a product, based on something else in the line's performance? How did it ultimately turn out for you?

image from sephora.com

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails