We've moved! We are now at genmaicha.tumblr.com.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Office is Closed

So hopefully everyone who's reading this already knows that the WGA (Writer's Guild Association) is on strike now. If you don't, I'll let the (always hilarious) writers of the Office sum up the strike a little bit for you guys:




What does this mean for us, the average TV viewer? Well, unless it's resolved soon, (which is unlikely,) it means a shortened TV season and not much for me to blog about. (I'm going to have to find other things to blog about, quelle horror! I have a couple of blog ideas, but TV blogging is my staple blog topic here!) However, it's also really important for the writers to be striking and for their voices to be heard. Before the strike happened, I had no idea that writers weren't getting compensated for their work on the shows that were aired on the internet. The shows on network sites all have ads embedded in them, so of course I assumed that everyone on the crew was paid fairly. And according to the writers, this is not the case.

As someone who hopes to be a published writer someday, obviously the issue of not getting compensated fairly for your job hits close to home. I doubt any writer will tell you glamorous tales of how much they make sitting at home writing in their pajamas with unwashed hair all day, because the fact of the matter is that most writers don't actually earn that much (unless you are J.K. Rowling, and that's another story). So this issue of how much the TV writers are earning is a serious one for me.

As a lover of TV, I hope the strike is resolved soon; but as a writer, I hope they keep striking for all of us. Fair compensation is only fair.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Agreed. I've let my mom know that I'm not going to be buying or asking for DVDs this Christmas, and, even though I was about to purchase either Reaper or Gossip Girl (and possibly both!) off of iTunes, I've decided that I'm not going to do either.

Kati said...

Well, when the strike is over, you know I put in my vote for you to start watching Gossip Girl. Blair is endlessly delightful to watch. (They're also replaying the second episode next week, which I think makes a far better pilot than the pilot.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails