We've moved! We are now at genmaicha.tumblr.com.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Notes for Next Fall - Marc by Marc Jacobs

Oh yes, my dears, it's my last Notes for Next Fall until, um, next spring?

Anyway, I would like to take the opportunity to talk a little about Marc Jacobs. Specifically, I'd like to talk about his accessories for his fall/winter '09/'10 Marc by Marc Jacobs collection. I feel the need to be specific with which collection, because people will go "blah blah Marc Jacobs" and I'm like, wait, are you talking Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs, or Louis Vuitton or god he does do something else too, doesn't he, or am I thinking of Karl Lagerfeld because they both do so much while also simultaneously being either annoying or hilarious or both, depending on my mood and what sort of naked trouble they're getting into lately. Which, in Marc Jacobs' case, tends to be more often than not. (Karl, not so much with the naked trouble.) (Also, Wendy, I am sorry for searching for "marc jacobs naked" on your blog! At least you know it was me now.)

Anyway, Marc by Marc Jacobs. I am always intrigued by his stuff, but really all I ever really can wear/afford from him are the accessories (my enormous sunglasses are Marc by Marc Jacobs, and that's, uh, that's it for my MMJ pieces), and so thus the accessory focus of this N4NF.

Anyway, the show rocked out some incredibly awesome hats for Fall/Winter, and since I have been wearing a hat pretty much all winter this year, I am glad to see more excellent hats. I love the olive-and-purple hat, especially since it looks amazing with the model's hazel-y eyes (which I have) and a grey knit (which I will have). I am always in the market for a great black hat as well, and since I already have a navy blue top with a collar like that (hooray for the limited color palette, am I right?), it would be easy to add in a sweet yellow enamel pin as well. I am all for bringing back the charming winter hat besides the beanie/toque, and so let's try to make this happen next fall. Bring back the hat!

Next up, though, we have some seriously amazing colored tights and boot-legwarmer-thingies. I'm not really sure how the boots and tights all work together -- it's colorblock tights, then a ribbed cuff, then the three suede tiers, then the multicolored foot of the boot. I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure. Either way, it's a fascinating look, and I love the tights in general, but pairing them with the boots is just incredibly cool.

He always has amazing stripe-y color combinations in his knits and such, so I'm intrigued by all of the color mash-ups here. Who knows, it might actually inspire me to knit something with some similar stripe patterns, if I'm not all knitted out already. (Perhaps some knitters besides me remember this classic Marc Jacobs-inspired Knitty pattern...)

So yeah, that's what I'm taking away from this collection: more great hats, great tights, interestingly awesome boots, and stripes! (Gosh, I love his stripes.)

And that's it for Notes for Next Fall! I hope everyone liked 'em. Maybe come September, I'll start making my Notes for Next Spring... In the meantime, I'm already starting my wishlists for this spring, which appears to be on its way! (To which I say, OMG, FINALLY.)

images from style.com

2 comments:

Alice X said...

haha, i totally want to look like m by m next fall too but i'm not looking forward to the cold!

alicexinwonderland.blogspot.com

Lana said...

Great review. Love your blog!
As a designer and knitter, this collection offers tons of ideas.
Lana
www.knitberry.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails