We've moved! We are now at genmaicha.tumblr.com.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Science Fair for May 24th-30th

Hi all! This week's big news comes first:

-We have a Tumblr account that will serve as this blog's sieve, catching all of the bits and bobs that don't make it into full blog posts. Check us out at Periodicals! As of today, it's a lot of cuckoo things I like, serial killers, lepidopterae, vintage goodies--it will grow as we pass links back and forth to share with all of you.

-Second biggest news from this week is that the San Francisco Baby, the Stars Shine Bright store is ACTUALLY HAPPENING. We can't even believe it, Jeanne and I are going to go crazy all on their asses. A company called New People World is, in fact, building an entire new complex in San Francisco Japantown dedicated to J-pop/popular Japanese culture. I'm sure I will end up having a very complicated relationship with it due to my love of Japanese culture and my anger over its misappropriation.

-Check out these pictures from Copenhagn Fashion Week. What do you think, is it quintessentially Danish or what? Do city- or nationally-based fashion weeks have to represent their cities or countries overall?

-This week marked the 150th anniversary/birthday of London's iconic Big Ben, here are some facts you may not have known about that big ol' clock! That reminds me of my nerd-tastic love for Doctor Who, AND that at the Maker Faire yesterday some folks had crazy razor-sharp ball robots who rolled around, looked at you (!) and said, "exterminate! exterminate!" I nearly fell over in shock and delight, Jeanne can attest to it.

-In my quest to educate the rest of the world about the greatness of 1960s Nouvelle Vague film and the role of women in them, I'm sure you've read us talking about Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless. Jeanne's current haircut is a la Jean Seberg in Breathless, thanks to a night spent with me watching it on TV (you're welcome, buddy). This week, you can watch female director Agnes Varda's classic New Wave film, Cleo from 5 to 7 thanks to TheAuteurs.com. They're running a feature series on Cannes winners from previous years, all are definitely worth your time and $0 in the name of cinema education. Come back after watching Cleo from 5 to 7 and tell me if it didn't change your life.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails